- Love Triangles: Everyone knows what this is. Love triangles are just so unrealistic and usually end up just getting on my nerves and make me want to stop reading.
- Angst: I cannot stand it when the love interests argue all the time, then they end up kissing, then one insults the other and they end up leaving in a rage. It drives me crazy.
- Insta-love: this doesn’t bother too much in YA novels. It bothers me more in adult romance novels when they decide they are in love and instantly fall into bed together. I know people have one night stands but when this happens in books its different.
- Too Lenient Parents: I don’t understand how some main characters have parents who let them do whatever they want and never comment about how late they get home, or how often they skip school, or when they come home bruised and broken, etc. It drives me insane.
- The “Thoughtful Boyfriend”: I put that in quotes because I am not really sure what to call it. But basically this is when a boy pretends to not love, or even hate, a girl because he thinks he is not good enough for her or that it is too dangerous for her to be with him. I do believe that we females have the ability to decide these things for ourselves.
- School/Training: I love books that have special school or training facilities for characters with special abilities, or even just for learning how to fight, kill, etc.
- Badass Female Heroine: This could be just because I am a female but I love it when there is an awesome female character that doesn’t hide behind a man. Don’t get me wrong though, I also love badass male characters but that happens more often than female characters.
- The chosen one: I have seen a lot of people/posts that say they are tired of this trope but I am one of the few that may never get tired of this. I love it the most when “the chosen one” doesn’t come into their powers until the very end when everyone is in danger and the antagonist is about to when then all of the sudden they have an epiphany and end up saving the day.
- Understanding Family: I love it when the parents of the main character either has known about their abilities the entire time and kept it a secret or didn’t completely freak out and wanted to help them out. (This was really confusing but I think you get what I mean.)
- I’m not sure what to call this but I love it when a female character constantly puts herself down because she thinks she isn’t pretty but a male character basically tells her she is an idiot and is absolutely beautiful. I know a lot of people don’t like this but I always enjoy reading it.